Dover, DE. - After the winter weather rearranged the Devils upcoming schedule over the upcoming weeks, the University of the Sciences baseball team was able to open up their 2017 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference schedule with a two-game sweep of the Lightning of Goldey-Beacom. The Devils took advantage of 11 Lightning errors, driving in nine runs on 10 hits in the 14-6 game one win. Game two saw the Devils collect 13 runs on 14 hits, completing the road sweep of Goldey-Beacom 13-4. Leadoff man T.J. Dezzi went 2-5 with two hits and a walk and three runs scored in the first game of the afternoon, adding a hit and a walk with two runs in game two. Ryan Scholey kept the middle of the order alive in game one, going 3-6 with three runs and two runs batted in. While game two saw four Devils tab multiple hits on the afternoon, Matt Miniconzi added four RBI's and two runs on two home runs.
- Mike Pollastrelli put the Devils on the board early with a first inning RBI two score Dezzi.
- Christian DeLuca drew a bases-loaded walk to push across the Devils second run, before Nick Amicon reached on a fielding error, scoring Miniconzi and Scholey.
- Four runs came across in the top of the second for the Devils. Pat Hiester started the Devils off with two, advancing to second on an error, scoring Dezzi and Adam Reed.
- A Scholey single through the right side would bring home Polastrelli for the Devils third run of the inning.
- DeLuca added the fourth RBI of the inning, reaching on a fielder's choice to score Hiester.
- The Devils added a run apiece in the third and fourth innings.
- Scholey ripped a double to left center to score Pollastrelli in the top of the fifth.
- Miniconzi singled through the right side to add to the Devils insurance, scoring Scholey to make it a 12-4 game.
- USciences capped off their attack with two runs in the seventh.
- Miniconzi got USciences on the board in the top of the second inning with a homer to right.
- For the second time, the Devils scored two runs off a Lightning miscues, this time Ryan Scholey reached safely, and Pollastrelli and DeLuca scored.
- Nick Amicon followed up with a two-RBI single to left field, bringing around Hiester and Scholey.
- After a leadoff double by DeLuca to start the fourth, Hiester brought him home with a double of his own for the Devils first run of the fourth inning.
- Scholey singled to left center to score Hiester.
- With back-to-back USciences singles to start the fifth inning, starting with Justin Skinner, followed by swiping third. Dezzi pushes the eighth run across for the Devils, with an RBI single to score Skinner.
- Pollastrellii singled to the right side, scoring Reed and moving Dezzi to third.
- After a Lightning pitching change, Hiester extended the lead with a sacrifice fly to center to score Dezzi.
- Miniconzi finished the day just as he started with a three-run shot over the right field fence, adding Joradn Lee and Dezzi to his RBI count.
From The Mound
- Eric Stratoti picked up his first win of the season, facing 30 batters in seven innings, allowing just five hits and striking out seven.
- Joseph Jachimiak gave the Devils two innings of relief work facing eight batters without allowing any hits.
- Chris Geraci allowed only three hits in six innings against 25 batters faced with six strikeouts.
- Mack Gill saw an inning of work allowing one hit.
- The Devils will be back in action from the Maplezone Sports Institue taking on CACC opponent Bloomfield, starting at 1PM.