Brookville, NY - The University of the Sciences men's basketball team opened the 2016-17 season with a 12 point 78-66 win over LIU Post. The Devils finished with three players scoring in double figures, with Jon McGill leading all Devils scorers with 23 points knocking down 9-14 from the field including 5-8 from beyond the arc, along with pulling in five rebounds. The Devils once held their largest lead of 16 points at the 2:19 mark of the second half. It was smooth sailing from the opening tip for the Devils as the game saw just three lead changes.
- Will Gregorits followed up McGill's efforts with 21 points of his own while hauling in nine rebounds and dishing out three assists.
- Bryan Okolo rounded out the Devils double-figure scorers with 12 points, knocking down 3-4 from deep range while picking up two steals and two assists.
- Brendan Crawford cleaned up on the glass for the Devils, hauling in 10 boards to go along with his nine points.
- Freshman JJ Melchior added five points to the Devils total with four rebounds, while Flo Da-Silva and Beni Toure each added four with both pulling down two rebounds.
- The Devils knocked down 26-59 from the field for a 44.1 shooting percentage, widening the gap in the three-point category the Devils hit 10-18 compared to the Pioneers 9-29.
- The Devils capitalized on the Pioneers misfortune scoring 13 points off turnovers, along with taking advantage of 12 second-chance points to LIU Post three.
- The Devils were able to overcome a 37 percent first half shooting, to close out the game going 15-30 from the field in the second half including 5-8 from three-point range.
- The Devils will be back in action for their second game in two days on Sunday, Nov. 13 taking on NYIT at 1PM on the final day of the LIU Post Tip-Off Tournament.