BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Jonathan Epstein ran the third fastest 8k in program history on Friday afternoon, as the University of the Sciences men's cross country team competed at the Paul Short Invitational hosted by Lehigh University.
Epstein now only sits behind Mark Shaw in the record book, as his time of 27:33 was the fastest in the program since Shaw ran at the 1983 NAIA National Championship. The program record of 26:53 was set by Shaw at the 1982 NAIA National Championship.
Epstein beat his previous collegiate personal record, set just last Friday on Sept. 22, by over 40 seconds to place 81st in the field of 283.
For the second week in a row, Epstein was one of seven Devils to set collegiate personal records.
Conor Glass (41:55) beat his previous collegiate personal best by more than a remarkable five and a half minutes, while Christopher Cardace, Ryan Ward and Matthew Connolly all beat their previous collegiate personal records by over two minutes.
Cardace finished in the top-half of the field in 28:31, while Ward and Connolly finished with respective times of 29:22 and 31:10.
Finishing in between Ward and Connolly was Matthew Weiner, whose time of 30:51 was 1:20 better than last week's collegiate personal best.
Also with a new collegiate personal best was Eric Papazian, who crossed in 39:37.
Notably, Scott Jacobs' time of 32:45 was a new season-best.
University of the Sciences has one final tune-up for the Oct. 22 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Championships next Saturday, Oct. 7 at the Jack St. Clair Memorial held at Belmont Plateau. The Devils will also be hosting their 5th Annual XC Alumni Fundraiser at the event, as the women's race is set to begin at 12:15 p.m. with the men running afterwards at 1:15 p.m.
86. Jonathan Epstein – 27:33 (collegiate personal record) (third-fastest in program history)
139. Christopher Cardace – 28:31 (collegiate personal record)
174. Ryan Ward – 29:22 (collegiate personal record)
201. Matthew Weiner – 30:51 (collegiate personal record)
206. Matthew Connolly – 31:10 (collegiate personal record)
216. Scott Jacobs – 32:45 (season-best)
237. Eric Papazian – 39:37 (collegiate personal record)
282. Conor Glass - 41:55 (collegiate personal record)