Garden City, N.Y. - For the first time in school history, the University of the Sciences women's basketball team has advanced to the second round of the NCAA DII Tournament with a 73-66 win over third seed Bentley University. After two first round exits in 2004 and 2006, the Devils jumped out to an early 17-10 lead after the first quarter, knocking down four of eight attempts from beyond the arc. As the number one scoring defense in the country, USciences held Bentley to just 25 percent shooting through the first 10 minutes, taking a 30-26 lead into the half after an Alex Thomas three-pointer before the buzzer at the half extended the Devils lead. Coming out of the break, the Devils would go on to outscore Bentley 20-12 in the third quarter as Alex Thomas would go on to post 10 of her 23 in the third, shooting three of six from the field. The final quarter would be taken over by Sarah Abbonizio, converting on seven of her nine trips to the charity stripe tallying 11 of her 19 point total. Abbonizio added eight rebounds and three assists to her total on the afternoon.
- Colleen Walsh totaled 11 points, knocking down three of five shots from deep range, pulling down two rebounds, dishing out four assists, along with coming up with a steal.
- Laura Trisch tallied a team-high 10 rebounds with three steals, three assists, and a block to go along with her seven points.
- Jordan Vitelli posted 11 points while reeling in six rebounds, with a steal, a block, and an assist.
- The Devils grabbed 39 rebounds on the day with 30 coming at the defensive end and nine coming on the offensive end of the floor.
- USciences shot 41 percent from the field on the day, knocking down 21 of 51, and 12 of 22 from beyond the arc.
- The Devils added 11 points off of 13 Bentley turnovers.
- The Devils extended their lead out to as many as 15 points during the second half, in a game that saw only two ties and zero lead changes.
- The Devils advance to the NCAA East Region semifinal where they will await the winner of the Assumption/Queens game on Saturday.