Honolulu, Hawaii - The University of the Sciences baseball team embarked on a once in a lifetime trip, heading out west for a five-game series taking on the Sharks of Hawaii Pacific University between Friday and Sunday. The Devils split the opening series with the Sharks, with the home team taking the first game 7-1, while the Devils won the second seven-inning game 3-1 to start the season. As Christian DeLuca would step up to break the shutout during the first game by leading off with a sixth-inning double down the line, Justin Skinner would follow with his first collegiate RBI to put the Devils on the board. It was a battle of young vs. old in game two as freshman Kris Morgenweck battled the HPU senior hurler. With the Devils offense providing the needed run support, as all three runs came in the top of the fourth inning while holding the Sharks to their lone run in the sixth.
- Matt Miniconzi singled to center field in the top of the fifth inning to try and jumpstart a Devils offense with two outs.
- T.J. Dezzi collected his first hit of the season in the top of the sixth with a single up the middle.
- Along with his first hit and collegiate RBI in the sixth inning, Skinner added a double down the rightfield line in the top of the ninth.
- The three runs and four-hit fourth inning started with a Pat Hiester single to right field to lead, followed by Trevor Datz reaching on a Sharks error.
- Skinner's second double of the day, this time to left center would plate the first two runs for the Devils.
- In his second big hit of the day, Christian DeLuca would rip a single to left field, scoring skinner from second.
- Derek DeMaria would step in and get his first hit of his senior season, advancing DeLuca.
From The Mound
- Reilly Degen started game one for the Devils, throwing three and two-thirds with 20 batters faced, giving up eight hits and just two earned runs.
- Andrew Szpindor threw the final stretch for USciences in game one, allowing two hits and two strikeouts.
- Morgenweck tossed six innings in his USciences debut, facing 26 batters with four hits allowed and eight strikeouts.
- Ryan Johnson came in for the final inning, facing four batters and striking out one.
- The Devils are back in action from the islands taking on the Sharks in the second doubleheader starting at 7 PM.