Our website uses cookies to ensure you get the best browsing experience possible. View our privacy policy

Men’s Basketball Downed by Late District of Columbia Basket

Men’s Basketball Downed by Late District of Columbia Basket

PHILADELPHIA – The University of the Sciences men's basketball team led throughout much of the game, but a late running jumper with just under four seconds remaining gave District of Columbia a 65-64 victory over the Devils at Bobby Morgan Arena on Sunday afternoon.

The Devils did not trail until the 4:19 mark of the second half when nine unanswered UDC points put the Firebirds on top 63-56 with just 3:51 to play.   

A Paddy Casey 3-pointer just 22 seconds later began a stretch of seven straight USciences points over the next 1:08, ending with Javon Gordon's basket to knot the score at 63-63 with 2:21 left.

After nearly two minutes of scoreless play, Cameron Hoffman made 1-of-2 free throws to put the Devils back ahead, 64-63, with just 24 seconds to go.

District of Columbia hit a tough mid-range jumper with just four seconds left though, and despite a timeout the Devils could not get a shot off in the final seconds.

Casey fell two points shy of the game-high with 16, and he made three 3-pointers to become just the 10th player in program history to surpass 100 for his career.

Freshman Connor Murphy recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and a game-high 12 rebounds, while also leading USciences with four assists.

Sean Simon added 10 points in just 13 minutes off the bench, while Gordon and Jordan White each had seven.

Both teams shot a nearly identical field goal percentage, 43.5-43.3, but UDC had a major edge from beyond the arc as they made 11-of-21 (52.4 percent) compared to the Devils' 7-of-19 (36.8 percent).

Despite this, University of the Sciences did not trail for the opening 35:41 after starting the afternoon with the first eight points.

UDC tied the score twice in opening stanza, including at 26-26 4:18 ahead of the break, but the Devils closed the half on a 7-2 surge highlighted by four points in the final 28 seconds after a Casey steal and layup just before the buzzer.

USciences matched its largest lead of eight three times in the opening minutes off the second half, including when a Murphy layup made the score 45-37 with 13:32 showing.

District of Columbia hung around though, finally taking its first lead, 58-56, on a steal and ensuing basket with 4:19 to play.

University of the Sciences plays its first away game of the season when it travels to Kutztown this Wednesday, Nov. 13 for a 7 p.m. tip.